ISLAND KRAPANJ is the lowest as well as the smallest island
With its flat surface, the island of Krapanj is the lowest as well as the smallest inhabited island on the Adriatic Sea; area 0.36 sq km; the highest peak 7 m. It is located only 300 meters from the land and separated by a wide channel. The ferry line from Brodarica, a village located along the Adriatic Coastal Road and only 5 km away from Sibenik, operates daily through the channel connecting the island with the land. The island surface does not exceed the height of 1.25 meters above see level.
In the Middle Ages Krapanj was owned by the Sibenik chapter. During the Turkish invasions, from the end of the 15th century, the island offered shelter to the refugees from the neighboring villages on the mainland. The Franciscan monastery and the church were built in the 15th-16th century by local masters. The church was finished in 1523 and extended in 1626; the present bell tower was erected in 1907. On the left altar is the painting of Our Lady of Krapanj, a work by a local master from the 15th century. The monastery, reconstructed in 1626 and repaired in 1668, has a Renaissance cloister; the painting of The Last Supper in the refectory is a work by Francesco da Santacroce (16th c.).
Krapanj has a rich history in the harvesting and selling of sea sponges. Antun from Crete introduced Krapanj's inhabitants sea sponge gathering and processing over 300 years ago. For many years, diving for these sponges has been the major income for Krapanj families, earning them the title of "Spuzvari" (Sponge specialists). Sponges from this area are extremely well received throughout the world for their high quality and aesthetic beauty. The cosmetic market has in recent years opened the market for Krapanj sponges on an international scale. The traditions of sea sponge diving has in latter days given rise to scuba diving, free diving and spearfishing professionals from Krapanj. The Krapanj monastery museum permanently exhibits a show on sea sponge diving. The Adriatic Sea sponge is precious for its quality and beauty.
Geographical location 43°40′20″N, 15°54′50″E.